Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Top 8 Don't Inspire


Michael Johns, you're out. Jason Castro, you're in. I officially have a new AI favorite, if only for the fact that MJ is so incredibly frustrating with his refusal to sing songs that he can sing well, rather than songs that he likes. I thought he had turned a corner last week with his fantastic, soulful reimagining of a Dolly Parton song. But no. This week, the week of "Inspirational Songs" he kicked off the show with Aerosmith's "Dream On." Seriously, MJ? Aerosmith wrote and recorded "Dream On" while in a haze of drugs, sex and alcohol. What could possibly be inspirational about that? MJ would have ROCKED with some Aretha Franklin. He does soul so well, and the Aretha catalogue is chock full of gospel tinged soul. He tried to defend his song choice to Randy, who by the way was incredibly hateful tonight, by saying the song is about dreams, and he's living his dream, or something like that. As Simon would say, his song choice was self-indulgent. He's not in it to win it, he's there to enjoy himself. I completely agreed with Simon, he is much better as a soul or R&B singer and much more believable than when he tries to play Rock Star.



Syesha sang a Fantasia Barrino song, once again breaking a cardinal AI rule, Thou Shalt Not Sing A Previous Idol's Signature Song. Randy felt that she suffered in comparison to Fantasia. I don't know about that because I can't really remember what Fantasia sounded like, either way Syesha didn't sound great. She didn't hit half the notes, and her voice just wasn't up to that kind of vocal. I think she could be really vulnerable this week.

After Syesha came my new fave Jason singing the Israel Kamakawiwo'ole version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" and playing the ukelele. Words cannot describe. It was so great, absolutely the best of the night for me, and one of my favorite peformances of the season. Right toward the end of the song he went up into his falsetto range and just nailed it. A great performance of a great song, and the perfect song for him and his gorgeous blue eyes (I had to fit those eyes in somehow). The judges also loved it, Paula actually managing semi-coherent criticism, saying that Jason has a "definitive sound." Then of course she rambled back into her usual gibberish.

Kristy Lee actually surprised me last night by singing pretty good. Unfortunately she is still clinging to the sequined tank top and jeans as if they are a life raft and she is in the middle of the ocean rather than a stage in Hollywood with paid wardrobe people nearby. KLC sang the song that Martina McBride sang on the show last year and she sang it pretty well. I would't go overboard with praise the way Randy and Paula did, but it wasn't bad. I'm not a fan, I don't like her whole thing, the sequins, the fingernails, the odd bullfighters stance, any of it. But props to her tonight, she is definitely fighting for her place on the show.

David Cook...What in the H-E-Double Hockey Sticks happened there? He sang "Innocent" by Our Lady Peace, noting that they are his favorite band, and the whole thing was bizarre from beginning to end, and badly sung. That first note of the song caught me off guard and it never improved. I did hear some lyrics about cancer, so maybe the song really means something to him because of his brother who is ill. I can understand that, but it wasn't sung very well. Paula must be listening to something different than the rest of us because she loved it. I think the rest of us were left scratching our heads. I guess he's entitled to an off week. I hope it doesn't land him in the bottom 3 this week.


Carly also picked a song that I felt was an odd pick for "Inspirational" week, Queen's "The Show Must Go On." It's like she's trying to get voted off. Here's a song that wasn't great when Queen sang it, and it didn't improve much with her super-intense vocal stylings. It definitely wasn't inspirational, it wasn't uplifting, it was actually depressing because it just makes me think about Freddie Mercury and AIDS. Carly's my girl, I want to see her win, but she won't do it with these kind of songs. She's the girl who could actually pull off a diva song but she refuses to sing something from Celine or Mariah. This crapper could get her voted off.


Then came David Archuleta, singing a vaguely familiar Robbie Williams song called "Angels." I listened to a snippet on iTunes and it sounds good as a Robbie Williams song, but once again, I feel like Little David is not living up to his hype. His voice was nasally and shaky, he can hit the big notes for sure, but I didn't think it was all that good. But the judges, even Simon shame on you, are relentlessly promoting this guy. They obviously want him to win and heap praise on him far beyond what he deserves. Then they crap all over better singers (usually Carly). It's so irritating. It was OK, it wasn't his best performance of the season, as Randy claimed. It will be no surprise when this kid whens the whole thing because the judges are so obviously biased.


Wrapping things up was Brooke White, with Carole King's "You've Got A Friend." It was OK, not her best performance. She could also be vulnerable this week, because she hasn't knocked anything out of the park in a few weeks. I like Brooke, she's different than most of the female singers who have come through the show before, I hope she can stick it out a couple more weeks.


I don't know about everyone else, but the only thing I was inspired to do during the show was fall asleep. The most excitement we had was wondering whether or not Paula's boobs would spring free from the top of her dress. The show was boring, the songs were odd, for the most part, and it seemed like maybe this Top 8 is having a bit of a mid-season slump. Hopefully the show will spring back after this whole "Idol Gives Back" thing is over and find some real inspiration.

1 comment:

george said...

"The most excitement we had was wondering whether or not Paula's boobs would spring free from the top of her dress. "--- LOL...true , very true...!!