Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Hello Dolly!



I love Dolly Parton, she's such an amazing songwriter and human being. I am familiar with some of her songs, but it's not like I'm listening to Dolly records all the time. I just knew she is really country, like twangy opry country. I really wondered how certain contestants, like MJ and David Cook, would handle these songs. But for all my worrying, it turned out to be a pretty good night, no one gave a disastrous performances, although a couple people almost bored me into a coma.


First up, Brooke White, looking adorable as usual. She chose to sing "Jolene" and shared the stage with a backup singer and fiddle player while she strummed the guitar. I actually got a chill as she started singing. I thought she did great, but the judges didn't like it. I just don't know what they want from Brooke, she has a definite style, she sings well and she's so charming. Give her a break.

David Cook sang "Little Sparrow," a song that has never been covered by a rock band or alternative artist previously and he had to depend on his own arrangement of the song. When I was listening to the song on Amazon earlier today I thought it might be a tough choice for him, but he did pretty good. He hit a bad note or two, but overall the performance was solid and he sailed through Dolly night easily. I just wish the judges would call him out on his bad notes and "pitch" problems the way they do with everyone else.

Then came Ramiele with a craptastic version of "Do I Ever Cross Your Mind." Not one of Dolly's best songs, and certainly not improved upon by Ramiele. It was OK but just completely boring. I think Ramiele has hit a wall on AI, and doesn't seem to be living up to the promise that she showed the first couple of weeks.

Jason Castro sang "Travelin' Thru" with his guitar, and it was good but all of his performances are just starting to blend together at this point. Like Brooke, he definitely has his own style and really doesn't deviate from it. I really like him, I have from the beginning, but he is really losing momentum in this competition. He's so cute though.

My girl Carly chose a great song, "Here You Come Again." Totally reminds of being about 8 years old, driving in my grandma's old T Bird. I did have a problem with the echo that was happening in the beginning of the song. I don't know if it was done on purpose or what, but it was distracting. She has such a voice though, she blew the song away. Simon's main criticism was about Carly's wardrobe. I wanted to be mad at him, because it's just so rude, but I kind of agree with him. I mean, what's the deal with the boots? It's like boots boots boots all the time. She could use a bit of styling. But Simon could have taken that up with her privately, right?

David Archuleta sang "Appalachian Memories." What? Of course he sings the sappiest song of the night, and I don't really think he sang it that well. He really hit the wrong note at one point, but yet the judges ju'st overlook that and act like it's the best thing since sliced bread. It's so obvious that they are pushing for certain people to win. I'm kind of over him. Sorry all you D. Arch fanatics out there.

Someone else I am so sick of is Kristy Lee. Of course this was the showcase night for her and she picked a good song for herself, the great autobiographical Dolly classic "Coat of Many Colors." It was OK, she just isn't a great singer. And why was she barefoot? No one could find a pair of shoes for her? I wish she would go home but looks like that won't happen this week.

Syesha won the "I Will Always Love You" catfight, and I really felt like she probably couldn't pull it off if she were to go the Whitney Houston route. In the end she kind of split the difference, starting off like Dolly and ending with a big Whitney finish. It was pretty in the intro but then seemed disjointed when she switched it up, and she really couldn't pull of those big notes at the end. Had she kept it soft and pretty it would have been much better. It just didn't really work for her. Her hair needed some help, too.

The final performance of the night came from Michael Johns. I was really worried about this because when we listened to the song, "It's All Wrong But It's All Right," on Amazon earlier today it seemed way too country for MJ. But he slowed it down and put a soul spin on it, and I luuuurrrvved it! Finally, the soul performance I have been waiting for from him, and when he sang the line about "sexy lovin' lies" I got a little flutter (don't tell my husband). He was absolutely the best of the night, and the judges finally got an opinion right and gave him the accolades he deserved. Not sure how I felt about his cravat scarf or whatever it was about his neck, but he still looked cute!

Dolly week was better than I had hoped for, definitely. Much better than Birth Year week or whatever it was last week. So excited about MJ. Can't wait to see who gets a cowboy boot in the ass tomorrow.




No comments: