Wednesday, April 2, 2008

This Is What I Meant To Say...

I know I praise Michael Slezak's EW Idol recap on a regular basis, but I have to say he really got it right this week. Particularly when he said:

...How come certain contestants get credit for taking risks with song stylings, and yet when Carly strips down a well-known mid-tempo romp and turns it into a searing acoustic ballad, none of the judges even mentions the arrangement? And what's more, her risk paid off. The way she held back on the gale-force belting, taking care with every word of the lyric until she built to that final, wondrous glory note, I barely had time to take note of her ho-hum red jeans and bulky black blouse. I realize Simon's inner record exec is sizing up Carly, and her tattoos, and her imperfect teeth, and her not-size-zero physique, and it makes him say things like ''Have a word with whoever's dressing you.'' But seriously, dude, Ashlee Simpson is about to release her third major-label album: Why are you hell-bent on crushing the self-esteem of a gifted vocalist right at the moment she should be basking in the afterglow of her best live performance in seven weeks?

My thoughts exactly, stated with much more eloquence and wit than I am capable of. Loves it!

No comments: