Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Top 7 Do Good, Judges In My Dawg House


All right American Idol, tonight you have really ticked me off. Actually, it's the judges that I have a beef with. First off, opening the night is little David Archuleta singing "When You Believe." He gave a great performance, definitely better than last week and actually showed a little emotion. The leather pants were a bit surprising but, hey, he's trying to step it up a bit. The judges went nuts, just loved it, as per usual with David A.

So now here I'm going to rant a little but. After David came Carly, singing "Without You," the Harry Nilsson song that was so famously covered by Mariah. And you know what, she nailed it. I thought she was fabulous, she looked stunning, and she really restrained her voice nicely until that first big power note. She was really, really good. At least as good as David A. And the judges crapped all over it. Even Paula had that kind of pained look on her face, you know the one, when she's saying nice things when she really wants to say mean things but she doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. And then Simon says, "Could you pull it off...I don't think you did." Poor Carly looked like she was holding back tears and who could blame her? The girl is singing her heart out week after week and just can't seem to please Simon and Randy. The judges all chimed in together before she walked away with Ryan to say, "You can do it, Carly, trust yourself." What? What does that mean? She DID do it, these judges just have their favorite in David A. and don't want my girl Carly getting in his way. It's like each week they set her this invisible hurdle to jump over, and each week she does what she can, but the hurdle is invisible and they keep moving it and she can't ever quite get over the hurdle because it's impossible for anyone to get over it. Because it's invisible...get it? (Come on, it's better than Simon's hamburger metaphor). So I'm pissed off. I doubt my measly little votes are enough to save her, but I hope she's not in the bottom 3 this week.

Ok, I'll move on now to Syesha, who sang "Forever," a song that I didn't recognize. She was fantastic, I loved the song and it should be enough to keep her around next week.

Sweet little Brooke did the only thing she could do: she sat at the piano and sang "Hero" with in her Carole King-ish way. I liked it, I thought she did really well. She knows that she can't sing a big Mariah song with big notes and so she put her coffee house spin on it, and I thought it worked. I like her anyway, it wasn't going to blow anyone away, but she did the song justice. I just worry for her; it may not be enough to keep her there next week.

And then there was Kristy Lee. KLC sang "Forever." It wasn't great, but it wasn't total crap. The girl is actually improving. I wanted her to fall flat on her face this week, just because she gets votes that might otherwise got to someone I really like, but she didn't. She's not a great singer by any stretch of the imagination but she does enough to keep herself in the competition. And she may have done that again this week. I mean, last week she wasn't even in the bottom 3 while someone really talented went home and two far more talented singers were in the bottom. So who knows, looks like she might stick around another week. And yes, Kristy, we get it. You gave Mariah goosebumps. Do you want me to do a cartwheel for you? The thing is, the judges were practically doing cartwheels for her. She got more praise than Carly. I don't get it.

The big song of the night, for me, was David Cook. He took the syrupy pop hit "Always Be My Baby" and turned it into a brooding emo classic. I loved it way more than the original version. He was so great, he completely wiped out the memory of last week's strange performance. Simon said it was like, "Coming out of a karaoke hell into a breath of fresh air...It was original, it was daring, it stood out by a mile." And David had tears in his eyes, it was very cute. I think this guy has a lot more going on emotionally than he lets on. Anyway, he really kind of made you forget all the performances that came before him. The funniest thing about it is that the audience boo'd Simon as soon as he said the word "karaoke" even though he was working up to a compliment. The audience is on "karaoke" alert.

Jason Castro wrapped up the show with "I Don't Wanna Cry," and his was the performance I had been looking foward to all evening. I was hoping he would really do it in a sort of sexy, slow, traditional ballad but of course that didn't happen. He was accompanied by conga drums and it had the same sort of world music flair that his Sting song had a few weeks ago. I guess the sexy singer thing is my own personal fantasy, but gee it would have been nice. He did pretty good, not as good as last week. Randy compared it to Luau music and I almost had to agree. Almost. Paula made absolutely no sense in her critique of Jason and Simon actually liked it a lot. I didn't love it, but I still voted for him because I need to see those blue eyes again next week. I can't take any chances after the MJ fiasco (I feel very guilty about that as though my votes were the ones that could have kept him on).

All in all, not a bad week for the top 7. No one really blew it, which was nice for them, but boring for us at home. I still say MJ would have done so great this week. Ah, c'est la vie.

Hard to say who is in the most trouble this week. I'm really worried for my girl Carly. I will be eagerly awaiting tomorrow's results show. Oh crap, I was so mad at the judges while typing this up that I forgot to watch the Tuesday night rerun of Bones. That David Boreanaz is super hot. Darn you judges...Darn you straight to heck!

No comments: