Thursday, March 6, 2008

Wake Me Up Before You...Oh No

Well, I'm really falling down the job (such as it is) this week. I did finally watch both shows last night. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. I expected much much worse from 80's week.

Of course Luke was horrifically bad, but what's new with that?

I actually loved Danny Noriega's rendition of Tainted Love. She is really growing on me, if only for entertainment value. And she's so pretty. Sadly, my poor Michael Johns is really vulnerable this week. He picked a great song in 80's anthem Don't you Forget About Me, but really didn't deliver a great performance. I want him to do that whole soul thing again, like at his first audtion. I would love to see him do Try A Little Tenderness.

The big surprise of Tuesday night was David Cook singing Lionel Ritchie's Hello. At first I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I sat through most of it with my mouth open in shock, and a string of drool forming between my lip and chin. It finally dawned on me that his performance was awesome. Totally. He has absolutely nothing to worry about tonight.

Chikezie did pretty good and of course Dreadlock Guy was great. He sang that one Leonard Cohen song, we all know it but I can't remember the title. The one from Shrek. You know. Anyway, he hit a few bum notes and I thought he would have been better with his guitar, but he was good. David Archuleta depressed the crap out of me with some Phil Collins song. I agree with Simon, he needs to perk it up a bit. I hate David Hernandez. I hope the gay stripper thing gets him sent home.

The girls were also OK. The big shocker on Wednesday was Amanda Overmyer actually singing a song with some intelligible lyrics and doing a great job. Also, they have put some sort of smoothing serum or hot oil treatment in her hair. It still looks skunkish, but she's headed in the right direction. You could tell though, that she just hates the judges and feels like she is selling out or something by acting on their criticisms from last week. She looked like she was saying "Eff You" in her head while they were talking.

And I guess these girls don't read this blog because both Syesha and Asia'h came out singing Whitney Houston. Why why why? Don't they watch past seasons of the show? Syesha was OK, Asia'h not so much.

Carly was great.

I knew someone would sing Pat Benatar, I just didn't think it would be the folksy Brooke White. She put her own spin on it, singing a very stripped indie-rock version accompanied by only an accoustic guitar. It was very cool. I like her more and more every week. Those idiots Randy and Paula of course found a way to criticize it, even though it was the best performance of the night.

Kady - Horrible
Ramiele - Blah
Kristy Lee - Eck

No comments: