Tuesday, May 13, 2008

More Tears For Castro, Tonight's Songs

This week should be a great week on Idol. The contestants sing three songs each, one of which they choose themselves. Usually this turns out well, since the judges and producers are picking songs for the contestants which removes the possibility that they will pick out something really unsuitable for themselves, at least for two of the songs.


For me this week is bittersweet because in his EW exit interview Jason Castro says that he was going to sing Cary Brothers "Blue Eyes" this week. Seriously, that would have been a FABULOUS song for him. It's fresh, somewhat familiar but not too well known, it was written in this decade, which is nice, and it is in a nice range for his voice. If only he had been able to sing something like this instead of Andrew Lloyd Webber or Bob Marley. He still may not have made it to the top 3, but he maybe he wouldn't have come to such an ignominious end.


Jason cleared up some other issues and rumors in his exit interview with EW. On saying he wanted to go home:


"The fact of the matter that day was I was in a bad mood. I was frustrated with a lot of things. Then I got on the phone...I was just not in a good mood. I couldn't find a quiet place to talk...I couldn't focus...I don't even remember much of what I said. There are some days that are just like that. You just don't want to do what you are doing."


Did he say, "Don't Vote?"


"What I said was, 'Vote. Vote.' I said it twice trying to emphasize it. Then, when I was sitting down, I thought about it, and I thought it was going to look like I said, ''Don't vote.'' So the next time the camera came to me I just said, 'Vote.'''


Did he sabatoge himself so he could go home?


"I did not want to go home. But at the same time, now that it happened, I'm kind of glad. It all worked out like it was supposed to. I was reaching the point where I couldn't do it anymore. I wasn't able to keep up and it all caught up with me."


On whether or not Simon sometimes rewrites music history to suit his own purposes:


"You know, sometimes he says things that are obviously wrong. But no, I wouldn't have said that to him. My mom taught me never to make a person look wrong. I am just respectful. It's my place to sing a song and his place to judge."


Even though the show is somewhat hollow for me now that all the contestants I was rooting for are gone, I still can't wait to see what everyone is singing tonight. I am putting all my vibes behind David Cook now, and he should have an interesting night. Vote For The Worst has somehow gotten a hold of some of the songs for tonight, so stop reading now if you don't want to know...


Archie:


His Choice: "With You" (Chris Brown)

Paula's Choice: "And So It Goes" (Billy Joel)

Nigel's Choice: "Longer" (Dan Fogelberg)


Syesha:


Her Choice: Unknown

Randy's Choice: "If I Ain't Got You" (Alicia Keys)

Nigel's Choice: Unknown


D. Cook:


His Choice: "The World I Know" (Collective Soul)

Simon's Choice: "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" (Roberta Flack)

Nigel's Choice: Unknown


Roberta Flack? That should be, uh, interesting.


Here's the link for the Castro interview.

No comments: